Pebble Time – Times Up
Here are my first (and likely last) impressions of the Pebble Time.
I’ve been a fan of Japanese anime and the like since I was a kid. One series, however, Johnny Sakko and His Flying Robot was a favorite of mine when I was a kid, growing up in suburban Pittsburgh, PA for a couple of key reasons –
- It came on right after Ultraman
- Some of the tech it used – like a radio watch that allowed the story’s lead, Johnny, to control the actions of a towering, giant, defense robot – were pretty cool (especially for the late ’60’s and early ’70’s).
The concept behind the watch wasn’t completely new. Dick Tracy has been using a radio watch to communicate with his team since the comic series launched in October of 1931. However, it is a total geek-gasm, and it’s totally cool, especially since, we now possess THAT specific technology today.
In this light, I’ve approached my big writing project this summer – my Wearables Roundup – with a great deal of enthusiasm. I love gadgets, and I most especially love gadgets that I can take nearly everywhere with me. Here’s what we’ve got so far in the series:
- Microsoft Band Review – Completed (Part 1, Part 2)
- Fitbit Surge Review – Completed
- Apple Watch Review – In process (Latest article – Personal Setup of the Apple Watch)
I’m still working through a lot of mental gyrations with the Apple Watch. There’s good and bad there, and it’s going to take a little bit of time to work through a supportable position on it. (Yes, it’s totally cool, but why is it totally cool; and what (if any) is a compelling reason to buy one…? I’m working on that…)
You may recall that I was – and in many ways still am – a big fan of the Pebble Steel. Has that changed? Does the Pebble Time improve on what Pebble and Pebble Steel introduced to the market? Let’s dig up our smartwatch review topics and find out