There’s a bit of information circulating across the web right now related to a pending FroYo update for the myTouch 3G. The update, coming ONLY to the original myTouch 3G, is said to be a protracted rollout between now and 25-Oct-10. The myTouch 3G Fender Edition, 3.5mm Headphone Jack edition and the myTouch 3G Slide are still slated to get an update, but just at a later date. I would think that they wouldn’t be too far behind the myTouch 3G.
The update is supposed to include the following functionality for the myTouch 3G:
- New Fully Integrated Exchange Client
- Improved security: Numeric pin and alpha-numeric password options have been added to unlock the device. Exchange administrators can enforce password policy across devices.
- Remote wipe: In the event a device is lost or stolen, Exchange administrators can remotely reset the device to factory defaults to secure data.
- Exchange calendars: Exchange calendars are now supported in the Calendar application.
- Auto-discovery: With just a user name and password users can easily set up and/or sync an Exchange account (available for Exchange 2007 and higher).
- Global Address Lists look-up: This functionality is now available in the E-mail application, enabling users to auto-complete recipient names from an entire directory.
- Faves Gallery gives customers quick access to the 20 people who matter most.
- Customers can scroll through their Faves Gallery and instantly see the most recent communication from their top 20 Faves – calls, texts, emails, instant messaging, and social networking updates – and respond in a flash.
- New Home Screen Features
- Home screen Tips widget provides tips on how to configure the home screen with shortcuts and widgets and how to make use of multiple home screens.
- Market widget lets you keep on top what’s hot on Android Market, showing featured apps right on the home screen.
- Live wallpapers are available on Android Market, such as Aquarium, Google Maps and many others.
- Phone, All Apps and Browser now have dedicated shortcuts on the home screen, making it easy to access them from any of the five home screen panels.
- Improved Communication Features
- Gmail app enhancements:
Include quoted text from the body of an e-mail message Navigate quickly using on-screen previous/next buttons Identify e-mails using colored labels See inline images in messages
- Calendar app now supports multiple Google and Exchange accounts
- Google Talk app lets users search for buddies from the Search key
- Google Voice app now uses Inbox Synchronization so new messages are received in a matter of seconds
- Quickcontact is now available in Gmail, Google Talk, and Google Voice, right from your device. Users tap on a contact image to access various ways to reach that person, such as call, SMS, e-mail, etc.
- Improvements to the camera and camcorder,
- ability to add multiple languages to the keyboard,
- enhancements to Google Maps,
- YouTube app,
- Facebook app, and
- Twitter app.
If you get the update, please give us a shout and let us know what you think of it. I’d love to hear some feedback on the update process for you and on the improvements.